[Xen-API] Xen save problem

To: <xen-api@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-API] Xen save problem
From: "Nathan" <nath.perry@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 9 Aug 2009 15:57:06 -0600
Delivery-date: Sun, 09 Aug 2009 14:57:16 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:from:to:subject :date:mime-version:content-type:x-priority:x-msmail-priority :importance:x-mailer:x-mimeole; bh=Poqf5y9MDMetX6bccddGWpsNPIHKc6OKXg9mqeHBT0U=; b=PMpa9v9kzWAoQD4BdTPjG7u07c9jFbbYi3krcOkjPeKG9C/azoJ9QM02bRotrvqNME L7BJEpcHYaqFjo7+gvwvscVrqOcpdm406mJDMAOsqne1aFpKg1qh/608pZbRuIkRftoN XicbsyrpiY7/AeTaFPeONwKqp8+5UjvR2OY/I=
Sender: xen-api-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi, everyone,

Thanks for your attention, I'm new to xen-devel and now have a weird problem. I implemented a very easy live save/migration program, which works OK for PV-domains. But for HVM domains, it only works for the first time.

So if I run the program for the first time:
myxm save vm-name test.dat
everything is OK. then after I restore the domain using:
xm restore test.dat

and run the program again:
myxm save vm-name test.dat

the program will output an error message : timed out waiting for qemu to switch buffers
which is due to line 218 in function qemu_flip_buffer, file xc_save.c

I debuged the program, and found that at first, xs_read function returns NULL but variable len is set to 7, then it tries to read again and timeout. I compared my own program with xen built-in xc_save.c, xc_domain_save.c files and found nothing. Do you have any idea why this happens, or is there any difference between a new HVM domain and a restored HVM domain ? I'm using xen-3.3 on ubuntu 8.10.

Thanks very much
Nathan Perry