Re: [Xen-API] Strange CPU utilization values of Dom0

To: kushal waikar <kushalwaikar@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-API] Strange CPU utilization values of Dom0
From: Stefan de Konink <stefan@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2009 20:58:00 +0100
Cc: xen-api@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Fri, 20 Feb 2009 11:58:22 -0800
Sender: xen-api-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
kushal waikar wrote:
Hi,
I am trying to fetch CPU utilization of Dom0 using XenAPI & Python...I am not getting any error in my code...But Whatever CPU utilization I am getting from my Dom0 is having value less than one... But actual CPU utilization seen under Virtual Machine Manager is in range of 1 to 100...It never exceeds 100 since it is percentage... If I multiply the values getting here by 100 then sometimes my CPU utilization is exceeding above 100, which is impossible practically (remember it is %age thts it should be <=100)...

 My questions are-->

1. What kind of manipulation should be carried out on the vales obtained through my code to get the correct CPU utilization of Dom0....?
2. Any other way to get correct values ?

The CPU utilalisation is time spend in the dom / total time between sample interval.

So if you measure every 5 seconds your calculation would be:

this sample - previous sample