Re: [Xen-API] Xen-API update

To: Xen-API <xen-api@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-API] Xen-API update
From: Ingard Mevåg <ingard.mevag@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2007 12:16:33 +0100
Cc: Hårek Hau, Kyrre M Begnum <Kyrre.Begnum@xxxxxxxxx>, gerud <Harek.Haugerud@xxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Wed, 31 Jan 2007 03:18:42 -0800
Sender: xen-api-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
This is excellent news.

I'm doing my master thesis this semester about (in short) management and
monitoring of a virtual infrastructure. In this project I also plan to
develop a tool which will calculate the total redundancy level of the VI
and, among other things, also be able to live migrate VMs to give them
more available resources if need be. It is also meant for this tool to
be able to communicate with hartbeat to ensure availability in the
virtual infrastructure if physical nodes do, in worst case, go down
unexpectantly.

I will need to collect statistics of the resource consumption in the
different VMs and the new Xen-api seems like the best approach to do
this. I have been recommended to look at xenmon also for this task and I
would very much like more opinions on this matter. I am aware that I
have the option of enabling statistics outpit from Xen, but also that
this might cause a performance hit on about 10% which is unacceptable
since this tool is ment to be used in production systems.

I hope to hear about experiences and opinions from other people on this
list that might have been in the same situation or had a similar task,
or just opinions and advice in general.

Ingard
Oslo University College
Norway