Re: [Xen-API] xen management ap versus xend-tcp-xmlrpc-server

To: Ewan Mellor <ewan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-API] xen management ap versus xend-tcp-xmlrpc-server
From: Henning Sprang <henning_sprang@xxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2007 21:27:34 +0100
Cc: xen-api@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Wed, 24 Jan 2007 12:27:04 -0800
Sender: xen-api-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Ewan Mellor wrote:
> The only documentation of that option is in tools/examples/xend-config.sxp
> (though I think that the comments there are pretty comprehensive).  If you
> could update the main docs, then that would be great.

Yeah, I should have said that I saw that, including the docs in the
config file - would have saved you some lines.

> You don't have to enable specific options, though you do need to be using
> 3.0.4 or above (preferably xen-unstable, because it's still changing a fair
> amount).
>
> xend-tcp-xmlrpc-server et al are the legacy interfaces into Xend.  Certainly
> if you turn one of these on and restart Xend you should see open ports.

Nope - That's why I ask.

I am pretty sure I already tried multiple versions, as well as Xensource
Binaries and Debian Etch packages, now and here with Ubuntu Edgy and
native package, but there is nothing listening on any new port after
setting tcp xmlrpc server to yes and rebooting.
And I see no errors that might tell me why it can't be started.

Is it maybe depending on some additional libraries, and silently
discarded if those aren't there?

One thing i that I'm curious, the other is, that xenman seems to use it
for remote controlling Xen.
Henning