Re: [Xen-API] Comments on VM and host classes

To: xen-api <xen-api@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-API] Comments on VM and host classes
From: Stefan Berger <stefanb@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2006 16:04:52 -0400
Cc: Ramon Caceres <caceres@xxxxxxxxxx>, Reiner Sailer <sailer@xxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Tue, 27 Jun 2006 13:06:40 -0700
Sender: xen-api-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I also have some comments regarding the VM class.
Would it not be better to have a class TPM and a member TPMs ((TPM ref) Set) containing an array of zero or one references to TPMs? I assume that an empty array would make it clear that no TPM is associated with the VM instead of encoding its existence into TPM/instance or TPM/backend somehow. The current members instance and backend could then be moved into the TPM class.

Also a Xen system can be running an access control policy where each VM's run-time access to resources is restricted by the label it has been given compared to those of the resources. Currently a VM's configuration file may contain a line like
access_control[policy='<name of the system's policy>',label='<label given to VM>'].
I think the identifiers 'policy' and 'label' should also be part of the VM class either directly in the form 'access_control/policy' or indirectly in an access_control class.

-- Stefan