xense-devel

Re: [Xense-devel] How to get the latest XenSE development code

To: xense-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, lfsjeremy@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xense-devel] How to get the latest XenSE development code
From: Mark Williamson <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 19:31:05 +0100
Delivery-date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 18:27:12 +0000
Sender: xense-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> I've read thru all the mailing list posts, and am interested in toying with
> the XenSE code. I noticed a post to the list from back in June that the
> XenSE stuff was going to go into the unstable Xen tree around that time -

You'll find the initial checkins there.  The plan is to keep sticking XenSE
stuff into the mainline until (maybe) things get sufficiently hairy that we
need to make a (temporary) fork of the sourcecode.

> however, I've also seen that the XenSE stuff isn't going to be part of Xen
> 3.x, and it doesn't appear there's been a branch made for that yet. So, are
> the XenSE bits committed to the unstable Xen tree currently?

There will be initial code for some XenSE stuff (mandatory access control in
the hypervisor, vTPM) in the 3.0 release, although I'm not sure if it's
planned to be used in production yet.

> Any other
> adivce you can give to someone who's fairly experienced with Xen from a
> user perspective, but just getting started with XenSE?

The hypervisor has support for doing Chinese Wall or Simple Type Enforcement
(or a combination thereof).  There are some userspace tools for configuring
appropriate policies (with some examples and documentation).  There's also
support in the tree for a virtual TPM driver so that guests can safely access
TPM-like functionality if they wish..

The full XenSE project will take rather longer to complete since it's pretty
comprehensive in scope.

HTH,
Mark