[Xen-users] gfx_passthu issue

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] gfx_passthu issue
From: jrs@xxxxxx
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2011 17:13:45 -0500
Delivery-date: Mon, 14 Nov 2011 14:24:56 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi all,

I'm trying to give control of a radeon HD 5700M to a win 7 x64 VM. I'm running Xen 4.1.1, with a CentOS 6 dom0.

If I give control of the graphics device to the VM but don't set the gfx_passthru flag, it will boot, and when the OS comes up, it works fine and even scores 7 out of 7.9 in graphics performance. However, with the flag set, it doesn't really boot, as far as I can tell - it sets in state ------, doesn't take control of the additional VCPUs it's configured for, and the screen remains blank.

If I enable VNC when I start it up like that and connect, the VNC client just gives me a qemu monitor shell.

Any advice for getting this to work with gfx_passthru enabled?