Re: [Xen-users] DomU crashing in CPU hotplug after migration

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] DomU crashing in CPU hotplug after migration
From: Tim Evers <it@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2011 10:42:21 +0100
Delivery-date: Mon, 14 Nov 2011 01:43:46 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Am 14.11.11 08:07, schrieb Adi Kriegisch:
> Dear Tim,
>
>> I have the following setup:
> [SNIP]
>> migration from one dom0 to the other and hotplug cpus afterwards via xm
>> vcpu-set the domU crashes with an error similar to this:
>>
>> [49525.372432] installing Xen timer for CPU 1
> [SNIP]
>> [2575388.944891] BUG: soft lockup - CPU#0 stuck for 2352393s! [bash:7130]
> [SNIP]
>> Any idea anyone?
> Hmm, you are possibly experiencing unstable clock sources? 2352393 seconds
> are approximately a month -- you probably did not wait that long; so bash
> probably wasn't stuck for a month.
> There are several pages out there explaining the details about getting
> clock sources stable.

Hi,

thanks for your hint. I've noticed that too but it seems I have no
options regarding clocksource:

tsc gives me the infamous "clock went backwards"-error with lockup
jiffies simply runs at about twice the speed it should
xen gives a stable time

All crash in the above scenario.

As I understand the docs every pv_ops domu runs with independent clock
but this should only affect ntp which is not relevant to this problem I
think.

I'm really confused since I'm not able to get a fully working xen+pv_ops
kernel to run which let's me:

- hotplug cpus
- hotplug memory
- migrate

I've tried:

Stock Debian 6 kernel 2.6.32
Stock Ubuntu 10.04 lernel 2.6.32
Ubuntu Backports Kernel 2.6.35
Ubuntu Backports Kernel 2.6.38
kernel.org Kernel 2.6.32.48

without success.

I can't believe that I'm the only one testing this, so I assume I have
some error in my setup. Unfortunately after one complete week of testing
I have no clue left what it would be...

regards

Tim