Re: [Xen-users] New Install Planning

To: ray@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] New Install Planning
From: chris <tknchris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2011 07:51:15 -0500
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, mfidelman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Tue, 08 Nov 2011 04:52:51 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Do your research before investing money. If you intend to only do HVM guests, then video isolation isnt really very well supported unless you buy very high end video cards with specific drivers which are passthrough aware or you are ok with using emulated 2d video via vnc. Most motherboards do support basic virtualization VT/SVM however you will need a capable CPU and BIOS needs to give you the option to turn it on. If you plan to do passthrough of devices to your HVM guests you should be looking for IOMMU support, which is also a feature which requires matching motherboard/cpu support. Intel calls it VT-d, not sure what AMD calls this.

I agree with Miles though that Xen can take some tuning to get everything running how you want. If you aren't very comfortable with any distro of Linux then you most likely won't be that comfortable with Xen, as even when running Xen, 90% of your day to day tasks and interaction will be just like a plain Linux box.

chris