[Xen-users] Xen 4.1.1 / Linux 3.0 and DomU clock

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Xen 4.1.1 / Linux 3.0 and DomU clock
From: Pavel Georgiev <neron@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2011 16:22:58 -0700
Delivery-date: Tue, 25 Oct 2011 10:39:10 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,

I'm running xen 4.1.1 with Linux 3.0.4 in Dom0 and I noticed that my PV guests
have their clock set to the server's localtime rather than the server UTC. My
guests wun with independent_wallclock=0 and I'd like to keep it this way, which
means guests have no control over their clocks. Guests have localtime=0 in
their xen config files.

I noticed that if I go back to using 2.6.18 in Dom0 (and not changing anything
else), my PV guests have their clocks set to the server's UTC (rather than
localtime, as is with Linux 3.0) and also changing the OS clock in Dom0 affects
the clock in DomU (which is no longer the case when I run Linux 3.0 in Dom0).

Did something change in Linux 3.0 or xen or both that affects how time is set
in guests?

Is there any way to revert back to the old behavior (other than running the
clock in Dom0 in UTC or applying rtc_timeoffset to each guest)?

Thanks,
Pavel