Re: [Xen-devel] Re: [Xen-users] Is xen planning to support hvm guests bo

To: Ian Campbell <Ian.Campbell@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Re: [Xen-users] Is xen planning to support hvm guests booting under UEFI?
From: "Andrei E. Warkentin" <andrey.warkentin@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2011 15:18:13 -0400
Cc: "xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Keir Fraser <keir.xen@xxxxxxxxx>, jim burns <jim_burn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Bei Guan <gbtju85@xxxxxxxxx>, Paul Durrant <Paul.Durrant@xxxxxxxxxx>, Todd Deshane <todd.deshane@xxxxxxx>, Jordan Justen <jljusten@xxxxxxxxx>, "xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Mon, 26 Sep 2011 23:32:33 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi Ian, Keir, others -

I was the mentor for the project. We got to the point where OVMF on
Xen was indistinguishable from OVMF on QEMU as far
as emulated device support (Bei can confirm - is this true for
network/PXE boot as well?). ACPI and DMI info published from
the hvmloader is consumed by the firmware and published. I believe we
could boot RedHat. Last I checked Win7 was unbootable under QEMU with
OVMF (so we didn't check) and I don't know the status of that (if I
remember correctly, it BSODs in bootvid.sys (under QEMU) due to low
memory area not being reserved away, or because there is no fake IDT
set up - that seems to match up with the hoops I needed to do doing
similar work on Hyper-V).

OVMF is aware of Xen, and work was being done on a PV block device
(Bei got as far as hypercall support and xenstore). Bei, are you
working on the PV block driver? I want to say we're pretty close on
that one (PV block not very hard, and neither is the block device
abstraction for EFI).

I/Bei had patches against hvmloader (to support booting OVMF) and Bei
had patches against the management stack as well to expose the
functionality of picking OVMF as the firmware. I believe all of these
were sent to xen development list.

Jordan Justen (Intel) had been working on integrating the OVMF changes
last I checked, but I am not positive (I just changed jobs and
relocated, and still am not on the TianoCore mailing list). I am
adding him to the reply.