Re: [Xen-users] XCP: Support for driver domains

To: Todd Deshane <todd.deshane@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] XCP: Support for driver domains
From: Jason Sonnek <jsonnek@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2011 19:03:51 -0500
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Sat, 24 Sep 2011 17:05:53 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thanks, Todd! That appears to address half the problem. That parameter will (hopefully) allow me to assign a PCI device to an unprivileged driver domain; are you aware of any way to modify the configuration for a DomU so that it uses the driver domain as the backend for its virtual device instead of Dom0?

In Xen, if I wanted to use domain X as the backend for a vif attached to Domain Y, for instance, I'd specify:

vif = ['backend=X']

in Y's configuration file and the network scripts would take care of the rest. AFAICT, there is no corresponding parameter for a vif in XCP/xe.

Jason

On Sat, Sep 24, 2011 at 5:55 PM, Todd Deshane <todd.deshane@xxxxxxx> wrote:
On Sat, Sep 24, 2011 at 8:39 AM, Jason Sonnek <jsonnek@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Does Xen Cloud Platform (XCP) support the notion of a driver domain? I can
> assign a VIF to a domain, but it seems that I can only attach that VIF to a
> network. What I'd like to do is attach the front-end VIF in one domain to a
> backend running in another domain. The second domain will control the
> physical interface (via PCI passthrough). This use case is easily supported
> using Xen + xm/xend, but I see know way to change the backend associated
> with a VIF in XCP using xe.

Looks like it is possible, just not well documented. Take a look at:
http://xen.markmail.org/search/?q=from%3A%22Dave+Scott%22+driver+domains#query:from%3A%22Dave%20Scott%22%20driver%20domains+page:1+mid:muxxm2ux6kfdpsth+state:results

Hope that helps.

Thanks,
Todd