Re: [Xen-users] Guest launches manually OK, not on System reboot when co

To: "Guido Hecken" <guido.hecken@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Guest launches manually OK, not on System reboot when config is in /etc/xen/auto ?
From: gregk.xen@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2011 13:32:49 -0700
Delivery-date: Sun, 18 Sep 2011 13:33:39 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha1; c=relaxed/relaxed; d= messagingengine.com; h=message-id:from:to:mime-version :content-transfer-encoding:content-type:in-reply-to:references :subject:date; s=smtpout; bh=1yxXpxbeZ4cDsbfo2wuUEw5KJC8=; b=fum Lk9luzGGnSEreirKlreHyL9d79304cSRrGWD9Y4VBpZbuj6/niTDcf2ESfTfcrOM 4VdlKrplo3AsJluTTuAPsoOrmaIxrOOzE3z2+GhRWFGgLV6Dp0MPv+wClXSagmhl 8Nkn7bHHBNgFbdU6fOb+RCDJ+Ky/39blbxDhnQqM=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi Guido,

On Sunday, September 18, 2011 10:06 PM, "Guido Hecken"
<guido.hecken@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> have a look at /etc/default/xendomains.
> Did you set XENDOMAINS_AUTO=/etc/xen/auto
>
> Here is an excerpt from this file (under debian squeeze):

The equivalent on Opensuse looks like it's "/etc/sysconfig/xendomains".
The default setting is:

  XENDOMAINS_AUTO=/etc/xen/auto

And the init file, "/etc/init.d/xendomains" loads this config in,

cat /etc/init.d/xendomains
  . /etc/rc.status
  rc_reset

  LOCKFILE=/var/lock/subsys/xendomains
  XENDOM_CONFIG=/etc/sysconfig/xendomains
  RETCODE_FILE=/tmp/xendomains.rc.$$
  xm_cmd=xl

  . "$XENDOM_CONFIG"

So that should be OK I think.  It's something else maybe?

Thanks a lot!

Greg

p.s. Here's the whole listing in case it's any help.

cat /etc/sysconfig/xendomains
## Type: string
## Default:
#
# The xendomains script can send SysRq requests to domains on shutdown.
# If you don't want to MIGRATE, SAVE, or SHUTDOWN, this may be a
possibility
# to do a quick and dirty shutdown ("s e i u o") or at least sync the
disks
# of the domains ("s").
#
XENDOMAINS_SYSRQ=""

## Type: integer
## Default: 100000
#
# If XENDOMAINS_SYSRQ is set, this variable determines how long to wait
# (in microseconds) after each SysRq, so the domain has a chance to
react.
# If you want to a quick'n'dirty shutdown via SysRq, you may want to set
# it to a relatively high value (1200000).
#
XENDOMAINS_USLEEP=100000

## Type: integer
## Default: 5000000
#
# When creating a guest domain, it is sensible to allow a little time
for it
# to get started before creating another domain or proceeding through
the
# boot process.  Without this, the booting guests will thrash the disk
as they
# start up.  This timeout (in microseconds) specifies the delay after
guest
# domain creation.
#
XENDOMAINS_CREATE_USLEEP=5000000

## Type: string
## Default: ""
#
# Set this to a non-empty string if you want to migrate virtual machines
# on shutdown. The string will be passed to the xm migrate DOMID command
# as is: It should contain the target IP address of the physical machine
# to migrate to and optionally parameters like --live. Leave empty if
# you don't want to try virtual machine relocation on shutdown.
# If migration succeeds, neither SAVE nor SHUTDOWN will be executed for
# that domain.
#
XENDOMAINS_MIGRATE=""

## Type: string
## Default: /var/lib/xen/save
#
# Directory to save running domains to when the system (dom0) is
# shut down. Will also be used to restore domains from if #
XENDOMAINS_RESTORE
# is set (see below). Leave empty to disable domain saving on shutdown
# (e.g. because you rather shut domains down).
# If domain saving does succeed, SHUTDOWN will not be executed.
#
# cref:
http://old.nabble.com/dom0-and-domU-shutdown-behavior-td18815379.html
# XENDOMAINS_SAVE=/var/lib/xen/save
XENDOMAINS_SAVE=

## Type: string
## Default: "--halt --wait"
#
# If neither MIGRATE nor SAVE were enabled or if they failed, you can
# try to shut down a domain by sending it a shutdown request. To do
this,
# set this to "--halt --wait". Omit the "--wait" flag to avoid waiting
# for the domain to be really down. Leave empty to skip domain shutdown.
#
XENDOMAINS_SHUTDOWN="--halt --wait"

## Type: string
## Default: "--all --halt --wait"
#
# After we have gone over all virtual machines (resp. all automatically
# started ones, see XENDOMAINS_AUTO_ONLY below) in a loop and sent
SysRq,
# migrated, saved and/or shutdown according to the settings above, we
# might want to shutdown the virtual machines that are still running
# for some reason or another. To do this, set this variable to
# "--all --halt --wait", it will be passed to xm shutdown.
# Leave it empty not to do anything special here.
# (Note: This will hit all virtual machines, even if
XENDOMAINS_AUTO_ONLY
# is set.)
#
XENDOMAINS_SHUTDOWN_ALL="--all --halt --wait"

## Type: boolean
## Default: true
#
# This variable determines whether saved domains from XENDOMAINS_SAVE
# will be restored on system startup.
#
XENDOMAINS_RESTORE=true

## Type: string
## Default: /etc/xen/auto
#
# This variable sets the directory where domains configurations
# are stored that should be started on system startup automatically.
# Leave empty if you don't want to start domains automatically
# (or just don't place any xen domain config files in that dir).
# Note that the script tries to be clever if both RESTORE and AUTO are
# set: It will first restore saved domains and then only start domains
# in AUTO which are not running yet.
# Note that the name matching is somewhat fuzzy.
#
XENDOMAINS_AUTO=/etc/xen/auto

## Type: boolean
## Default: false
#
# If this variable is set to "true", only the domains started via config
# files in XENDOMAINS_AUTO will be treated according to
XENDOMAINS_SYSRQ,
# XENDOMAINS_MIGRATE, XENDOMAINS_SAVE, XENDMAINS_SHUTDOWN; otherwise
# all running domains will be.
# Note that the name matching is somewhat fuzzy.
#
XENDOMAINS_AUTO_ONLY=false

## Type: integer
## Default: 300
#
# On xendomains stop, a number of xm commands (xm migrate, save,
shutdown,
# shutdown --all) may be executed. In the worst case, these commands may
# stall forever, which will prevent a successful shutdown of the
machine.
# If this variable is non-zero, the script will set up a watchdog timer
# for every of these xm commands and time it out after the number of
seconds
# specified by this variable.
# Note that SHUTDOWN_ALL will not be called if no virtual machines or
only
# zombies are still running, so you don't need to enable this timeout
just
# for the zombie case.
# The setting should be large enough to make sure that
migrate/save/shutdown
# can succeed. If you do live migrations, keep in mind that live
migration
# of a 1GB machine over Gigabit ethernet may actually take something
like
# 100s (assuming that live migration uses 10% of the network #
bandwidth).
# Depending on the virtual machine, a shutdown may also require a
significant
# amount of time. So better setup this variable to a huge number and
hope the
# watchdog never fires.
#
XENDOMAINS_STOP_MAXWAIT=300