Re: [Xen-users] Debian - DomU on ZFS

On Wed, Sep 14, 2011 at 11:12 AM, Net Warrior <netwarrior863@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Thanks for your answer,
>
> I have two scenarios.
> One local server for testing purposes using zfs.
> A SAN.
>
> I think I will move forward with something like this,  disk=[
> 'iscsi:2011-09.us.example:server,xvda,w', ]
> Do you think is this much more reasonable?
> I think that for the local server that will be much better than using
> images, do you agree?

Some aspects of that:
(1) file vs block
(2) Linux LVM vs zvol
(3) Local vs SAN (iscsi or whatever)

For (1), the usual answer is "it depends". block is usually better for
high load, but for some types of load and images file-backed can
perform better due to thin-provisioning and cache

For (2), if your ONLY concern is performance, with the same resources
LVM will win by huge margin. No brainer really. Just like ext4 will
have higher performance compared to zfs or btrfs. But if you want to
use zfs/zvol, I assume you already know about its features and
performance.

For (3), with the same resource (e.g. same number of disks), local
usually have high performance compare to SAN. Then again the resources
is usually NOT the same (e.g. a SAN is usually designed to have better
tiering with cache and such to provide better performance).

--
Fajar