Re: [Xen-users] Help in installing XEN

To: JAY PARIKH <jparik01@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Help in installing XEN
From: Grant McWilliams <grantmasterflash@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2011 00:32:56 -0700
Delivery-date: Mon, 12 Sep 2011 00:35:41 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Answers below...

On Mon, Sep 12, 2011 at 12:08 AM, JAY PARIKH <jparik01@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi Grant,

First of all thanks a lot for guiding me.

To conclude if i install CentOS 5.6 directly on my hard drive my question is should i install it in parallel with windows on hard drive or remove windows completely before this installation ???

You can run CentOS in a dual boot configuration with Windows on the same drive. You may want to use a Partition Manager (or gparted) disk to resize the Windows partition before you install CentOS though. I don't remember CentOS having that ability on install.

But the problem is my laptop is i5 and i dont think Centos for i5 is released yet so i will have to go through other options

I don't think there would be any problem having CentOS on a Core i5. The i5 is not really THAT different to the CPUs that came before it.  XCP is based on CentOS as well so you're really getting similar operating system either way you go.

1. I could get the swap hard drive thing you are telling. (Sorry if my questions are too silly)

If this is a laptop you might want to invest in an external USB drive. Change your BIOS so it will boot from it and install onto that. You could leave the Windows alone. When you want to run XCP or CentOS with Xen just plug in the USB drive and reboot.

2.  If i directly install XCP on my hard drive (removing windows as xcp does not support parallel OS - correct me if i am wrong) than can i run windows virtually on it through any other way ????

You can but beware that Xen and XCP are really designed for server virtualization and don't provide as much in the way of GUI virtualizing. However, you could install Windows in one of the VMs and use VNC to connect to it from the CentOS Desktop. XCP doesn't really have a Desktop like CentOS.

I've written a bunch of tutorials that illustrate step by step how to use CentOS/xen and create VMs. I'm currently spending a lot of time with XCP and will be writing XCP equivalents but sadly my entire site is down currently. It will be back up later.

Regards,
Jay Parikh