Re: [Xen-users] XCP which management console to use

To: Outback Dingo <outbackdingo@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] XCP which management console to use
From: Grant McWilliams <grantmasterflash@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2011 23:07:41 -0700
Cc: József Dániel <daniel.jozsef@xxxxxxxxx>, Chris Petrolino <cpetrolino@xxxxxxxxx>, "xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Sat, 10 Sep 2011 23:09:05 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Sat, Sep 10, 2011 at 3:58 PM, Outback Dingo <outbackdingo@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
install the xenwebmanager appliance on XCP, upload the .xva file and
run xe vm-import filename=xenwebmanager.xva
then xe vm-start xenwemanager

figure out the ip it got from dhcp

then goto the http://ip-from-dhcp/8080

add the server ip for the XCP hosts and login / password

and yes you can console to running guests from xenwebmanager

2011/9/10 Chris Petrolino <cpetrolino@xxxxxxxxx>:
> I'm pretty sure openxenmanger is still quite alive it's just a case of few 'or actually one I think' developer so the dev cycle is a bit slow. Not sure how hard it is to get it working on osx though.
>
> Kind Regards,
>
> Christopher James Petrolino

openxenmanager was abandoned by the original author because he couldn't get any support from Citrix and has since stopped using XCP. Another person took over but hasn't really done anything yet from what I understand. OpenXenManager does work and is nice to look at but is buggy as heck. You'll find yourself restarting it a lot. XenWebManager is the web version of the same code and most of the links to it have disappeared although the xva noted above is at http://sourceforge.net/projects/xenwebmanager/files/appliances/. The last update seems to be a year old.

I went through the same process looking for a graphical management interface and settled on xvp appliance which has been rock solid so far. It doesn't have all of the abilities of Openxenmanager but what it does it does reliably. That includes start/stop/restart/console which is what I needed.

Grant McWilliams