Re: [Xen-devel] virbr0/bridge: No such file or directory, rhel6 bridge-u

To: Scott Meyers <scottmeyers@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] virbr0/bridge: No such file or directory, rhel6 bridge-utils IGMP snooping
From: Pasi Kärkkäinen <pasik@xxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2011 22:08:19 +0300
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Tue, 30 Aug 2011 12:14:46 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Tue, Aug 30, 2011 at 09:59:03AM -0500, Scott Meyers wrote:

> Pasi,

I think we should move this thread to xen-users mailinglist..

> > > No. That was not mentioned or required according to your tutorial.
> > >

> > NAT requires ip_forwarding/routing! This is a generic requirement for all
> > Linux NAT stuff,
> > be it Xen or something else.
>

> I am using i686 arch system, NOT x86_64. Did you try your tutorial on a i686
> system and worked? Were you able to add DomU successfully?

Nope, I didn't try it on i686..

> Do you mind telling me how to set ip_forwarding? What file and what variable?

It's shown in the http://wiki.xen.org/xenwiki/Fedora13Xen4Tutorial

echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward

or edit /etc/sysctl.conf and add it there..

> > > Disabled
> > >

> > Then it obviously won't work!
> > When dnsmasq starts it should add the firewall rules for NAT.
>

> I thought, SElinux must be disabled. In addition, I can not use DHCP in our
> network. I am using ststic IPs.

virbr0 is an internal bridge, it's only connected to dom0, so it's not visible
to physical network.
You can freely use dhcp on virbr0.

> > > No, dsnmasq was not running. I started dnsmasq, but didn't solve the
> > > problem.
> > >

> > dnsmasq acts as a dhcp server and DNS server for virbr0 bridge,
> > so you definitely need it running!
>

> Again, I am not using and I can't use DHCP in our network. I am using static
> IPs. Do I still need dnsmasq?

That doesn't matter, you can use dhcp and dnsmasq on virbr0, it's internal to
dom0.

> > > No. I always set dhcp off. I use static ips.
> > >

> > What IP did you configure in the VM?
> > Could you ping the gateway (dom0 IP on virbr0) from the VM?
>
> Let's say, I am using 70.50.123.145 as a server main IP. When I create a DomU
> and go through installation screens, I use a unique/different IP as a main IP
> for the domain, our network gateway IP and MASK, and another unique IP for
> our Nameserver. Does this make sense? This is what I did on Xen v3.x and it
> worked just fine.

If you attach the vm vif to virbr0, then it's NOT connected to outside/physical
network!

> > > It showed:
> > >
> > > bridge name bridge id STP enabled interfaces
> > > virbr0 8000.feffffffffff yes
> > >

> > So the VM is NOT connected to virbr0 at all!
> > Do you have xen-netback driver loaded in dom0 kernel?
>

> How can I check on that? By the way, following your tutorial with a slight
> change, I am using i686 machine; I ran these commands to install Dom0:

In my reference .config xen-netback seems to be built-in, so yes, it's
available.

What's your cfgfile for the domU ? which bridge are you attaching the vif?

> > Did tcpdump show any traffic?

> > > Nope.
> > >
> > > Why Xen v4.x is so buggy and difficult to deal with? I didn't have these
> > > problems using version 3.x. Does that mean v4 in still in beta?
> > >

> > 4.x is not in beta.
> >
> > When building a platform on your own, you need to understand
> > how things work and configure everything properly.
>

> Sure. By the same token, the system, any system, doesn't have to complicated
> to configure. Any system should be fairly easy, even for a newbie, to install
> and configure. Do we agree on that?

Of course, I agree with that.
Btw if you need something easy to set up, try XCP 1.0.

> Thank you and I really appreciate your help.

Hopefully it helps,

-- Pasi