Re: [Xen-users] Inter-VM Shared memory with HVM DomUs

To: Anil Rao <anil.rao@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Inter-VM Shared memory with HVM DomUs
From: Todd Deshane <todd.deshane@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2011 21:16:48 -0400
Cc: Dan Magenheimer <dan.magenheimer@xxxxxxxxxx>, "xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Mon, 29 Aug 2011 18:18:28 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=mime-version:sender:in-reply-to:references:from:date :x-google-sender-auth:message-id:subject:to:cc:content-type; bh=akZHqzKDce57imceQsQd/gMvsdiTZX5nILq8hRf65bg=; b=W0ZFD/2yvSBMVBU6kObxXRPBhZauHDBftSC6NfExhEVwK3vQjazIePRNFyQkdQbq5a SFfDzv4a3U2fPuVMp619wgn8eJy6vVo2Gg26D6R5TsumtR40E4tsZncrfQTrTem90A3o qbD2eIykENFu0AvlUaDuvM7mzy6bhZW89NlzE=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Mon, Aug 29, 2011 at 7:59 PM, Anil Rao <anil.rao@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am interested in having a bunch of HVM DomUs share a memory segment that
> is exported by Dom0. I am currently on a Xen 4.1.0 system with the Jeremy
> PV-OPTs Dom0. For my initial test, my DomU kernel is running a 32-bit PAE
> kernel based on Fedora 15. I configured the PV options to turn on the Xen
> Platform Drivers (configured as modules). When I start the DomU, it cannot
> find the root and swap partitions and then falls into a debug shell.
>
> The Standard Fedora 15 32-bit kernel (with no PV options configured) works
> fine as a HVM DomU on my host. Is there a special recipe that I must follow
> to get PV-on-HVM working? From reading various posts it appears that
> PV-on-HVM is required in order to get inter-VM shared memory to work with
> HVM DomUs. Any thoughts/suggestions would be most appreciated.

Take a look here:
http://oss.oracle.com/projects/tmem/

I've also added Dan to the CC he may have some insights.

As he has submitted tmem patches for upstream Linux:
http://xen.markmail.org/search/?q=tmem#query:tmem%20from%3A%22Dan%20Magenheimer%22%20date%3A201107%20+page:1+mid:jvln4hk5agf5onzz+state:results

Thanks,
Todd

--