[Xen-users] Re: Losing serial console output on boot

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Re: Losing serial console output on boot
From: Andy Smith <andy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2011 01:52:52 +0000
Delivery-date: Sun, 14 Aug 2011 18:54:38 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hello,

[ This is in reply to an unanswered post of mine at
http://is.gd/KRrLGo ]

On Sat, Apr 23, 2011 at 03:22:18AM +0000, Andy Smith wrote:
> I'm seeing some odd behaviour with a slow (9600 baud) serial
> console and the hypervisor.
>
> Basically Xen is producing a vast amount of console output during
> boot, and at some point after the dom0 kernel has been loaded it
> will just stop printing it to the serial console.

I never got an answer to this on-list, so for the sake of the
archives...

Keir advised:

    If you want to capture all Xen's boot output, the safest way is
    to increase the serial transmit buffer size. Try adding
    serial_tx_buffer=64k to the Xen command line.

I have now had chance to test this, and it does indeed work
perfectly for me; much better than using sync_console.

Thanks!
Andy