[Xen-users] Re: [Xen-devel] Failure to create HVM DomU at Xen 4.1 ( kern

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Re: [Xen-devel] Failure to create HVM DomU at Xen 4.1 ( kernel 3.0.0-5-generic) Ubuntu 11.10 (alpha 2)
From: jim burns <jim_burn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2011 11:29:49 -0400
Delivery-date: Sun, 24 Jul 2011 08:31:15 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=bellsouth.net; s=s1024; t=1311521394; bh=xWyTCAeK1emdeTkbjoyj/HV128VbORJWyAkljCP5AUk=; h=X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:X-YMail-OSG:X-Yahoo-SMTP:Received:From:To:Subject:Date:User-Agent:References:In-Reply-To:MIME-Version:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding:Message-Id; b=Rgj47tjaMVfFLSRMtdU825RVJVeYHbALGyqZYbdNLHpnSqkHwlm6bCU62PhA0ORm3CCZlG3nwsn1uT8jrvZCHADtoEF2p1YB/azw0w9S1S4Bep1i8esPxy7r/hq4+KgigU6PzC2Cg+WeT26gJOpa2yR2b0TSgDj4Z7GQpoirJ34=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Sat July 23 2011 2:36:28 PM I wrote:
> However, the major problem is xl puts the tap interface on the old style
> xenbr0 bridge, instead of the new style eth0 bridge. (Yes, I still have
> xend  running - I want both systems to operate in parallel.) And the vif
> interface is created w/o an inet6 addr, so even if I manually move tap and
> vif to the eth0 bridge with brctl, my domu still comes up with no network
> connectivity.
>
> Anybody found a solution to this? It probably only affects hvm domus.

Never mind. I setup a bridge with the Fedora ifcfg files. I used the bridge
definition from Iain Kay's post at the head of the thread '[Xen-users] Xen
4.1.0, LibXL, Bridged Networking, IPv6 Issues'. I substituted BOOTPROTO=dhcp ,
which makes BROADCAST, NETMASK, and IPADDR unnecessary. Then I added
BRIDGE=xenbr0 to my ifcfg-eth0. Fedora did everything correctly, giving eth0's
mac addr to the bridge, and dhcp gave the correct ip addr to the bridge since
it had the mac addr that my router is looking for. I changed my domu config to
use bridge=xenbr0 in the vif= line. xend happily skips setting up the eth0
bridge / peth0 interface, since there already is a bridge with a salved
physical interface. I didn't even have to change '(network-script 'network-
bridge netdev=eth0')' in my xend-config.sxp.

Most importantly, both xm create and xl create work correctly. Of course,
kernel 3.0.0 is still much slower than 2.6.32.

DEVICE=xenbr0
TYPE=Bridge
IPV6INIT=yes
BOOTPROTO=dhcp