Re: [Xen-users] Multi headed, Multi user partially virtualized environme

To: "xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Multi headed, Multi user partially virtualized environment - feasible?
From: Andreas <register090711c@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2011 02:57:31 -0700 (PDT)
Delivery-date: Sun, 10 Jul 2011 02:58:59 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoo.com; s=s1024; t=1310291851; bh=QDF5vxKUlbu8J2Bl2RTPMZXywPf/kCu12rA785w8q0o=; h=X-YMail-OSG:Received:X-Mailer:References:Message-ID:Date:From:Reply-To:Subject:To:In-Reply-To:MIME-Version:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=PxQMhpvs8zqQLUePLXEhOBvKse8P8uwA3iBWvls6yQbUr/o83n+ZKYif4M0rAc6jKm1YqTvaeMqM7sRNGs0yOuIBF5oGEZGDu7IbfRhnmWBTwctVhC59TvhveiHbSjWs9fIOLmdgJhqil7YM6CVJQq4F6DqY9XhxboKb8wrfM+E=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

>> AFAIK a normal PC can only accept input from one keyboard and one mouse at a
>> time. So your biggest challenge would be to figure out

>> how to bind a mouse and keyboard to one specific VM, then another keyboard &
>> mouse to another VM.
>> One would normally use a dumb terminal for each user who needs to connect in
>> this case, so I'm not sure if what you want todo would be

>> possible with today's hardware.

>There's no such hardware restriction, and never really has been AFAIK. Even
>back when PS2 (and older) keyboards were in use, there wasn't

>(to my knowledge) any fundamental restriction that would have prevented
>multiple interfaces being supported. Now it's all USB it's moot

>anyway >- you can add something like 60 keyboards and mice (limit is 127
>devices total IIRC).
>The real problem is, as you say, in software/OS support to route devices to
>VMs.

Its possible to setup a linux box to use serveral independent screens and
keybords/mice so serveral people can work on it (google for "linux multi
seat"). Thats what i assumed as a base for my project. I don't know if you can
assign whole USB hubs this way, though.
So, if i just configure the "zero clients" as simple linux desktops, it should
work for the most part, although i don't know if assigning a DVI port to a
session can be done "on the fly".
-> Linux can handle and map multiple inputs

Problem is the xen part - running an emulated unaccelerated windows in
virtualbox via x should work with this setup, but with slow graphics.
So i want to run that in xen, but don't know how what possibilities for
hardware mapping xen offers.

I assume Dom0 would manage the screens?
Can i assign a "half graphic card" (1 DVI port) to a DomU or would i need a
seperate card per session/VM?

thanks,
  Andreas