Re: [Xen-users] Starting basic HVM -- where am I going wrong?

To: Xen User-List <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Starting basic HVM -- where am I going wrong?
From: Sam Mulvey <sam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 9 Jul 2011 06:45:25 -0700
Cc: Rainer Sokoll <rainer@xxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Sat, 09 Jul 2011 06:47:51 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Jul 9, 2011, at 6:36 AM, Rainer Sokoll wrote:

> With fully virtualized DomU's (builder = "hvm"), you must use hda, not xvda -
> to my best knowledge.
> Also, if you want to install a virtual machine, you will also need to supply
> a harddisk, not only a cdrom.

I've tried various permutations on xvda, hda, hdc, xvdc, and so on, xvda was
just the last one I used.

Also, I started out with an LVM partition attached to it, like so:

disk=["phy:/dev/heG0/hvmtest,hda,w","file:/var/xen/iso/finnix-101.iso,hdc:cdrom,r"]

And in paring down I removed it in hopes that there was a problem with disk
handling.   I've even removed the cdrom file just to see if it would boot and
then look confused, to no avail.   finnix is a livecd ISO, which is why I'm
using that-- virtual disk isn't needed to test things out.

I've also played with various apic, acpi, and pae toggles.

-Sam