Re: [Xen-users] XCP on HW RAID - how to?

To: alkorrus@xxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] XCP on HW RAID - how to?
From: Rudi Ahlers <Rudi@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2011 10:21:14 +0200
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Thu, 07 Jul 2011 01:23:22 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Thu, Jul 7, 2011 at 10:12 AM,  <alkorrus@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi there.
>

> 1)  I'm just trying now to install the XCP on Supermicro A+ platform. AMD
> chipset, SP5100 south bridge, embedded Adaptec RAID (vRAID). The matter is:
> should i keep trying to install the XCP on the RAID, or just to install it
> on SATA disk without RAID instead?
>
> I am new in *nix. As I've read in DDK, the way of putting driver into the
> XCP looks like this: domU -> building smth there -> then adding that to
> dom0. But how ever can I do it with a RAID driver?
>
> And btw - do I really need XCP-over-RAID or
>

> 2) There are drivers themselves from Adaptec RHEL3-4-5-6 and SLES9-10-11.
> Which to take?
>

> Thanks,
>

> Ilya

It's always better to have RAID, especially if you run XEN since it
will help with IO load.

I would simply disable the RAID setup in the BIOS and then configure a
mdraid in Linux. By the sounds of it you have what's called "fakeraid"
and will probably have more trouble trying to get Linux to see the
drives, than trying to figure out how to setup software RAID on Linux
:)

Just google "setup software RAID on CentOS", or "setup software raid
on Debian" or whichever Linux you plan on using

--
Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers

Website: http://www.SoftDux.com