Re: [Xen-users] Debian misbehaving in centos dom0

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Debian misbehaving in centos dom0
From: Alexandre Chapellon <a.chapellon@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 05 Jul 2011 17:15:06 +0200
Delivery-date: Tue, 05 Jul 2011 08:16:31 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Le 05/07/2011 09:22, Sherin George a écrit :
Hi,

This is the specifications

dom0
--------
[root@server ]# uname -r
2.6.18-238.12.1.el5xen
[root@server ]# uname -m
x86_64

domu
--------

root@test:~# uname -r
2.6.18-238.12.1.el5xen
root@test:~# uname -m
x86_64

I think you'd better try to run your Debain PV guest with the debian kernel using pygrub for example.
My issue is like dom0 clock is moving too fast. Interestingly, it is
affecting ubuntu & debian domU. centos domU is just working fine.

Here is how I could recreate the problem.

root@test:~# date
Mon Sep 26 00:40:56 UTC 2011
root@test:~# date
Mon Sep 26 02:27:35 UTC 2011
root@test:~# date
Mon Sep 26 05:03:47 UTC 2011
root@test:~# time

real    1m27.712s
user    0m0.020s
sys     0m0.000s

I tried to enable xen independent wall clock in domU. But, this
doesn't seem to be solving issue.
Try to set 'disable kernel' in ntpd if running on the dom0, and set back independant_wall_clock to 0 (so no use for ntp in domU)
I have verified that the same VM is working fine in another dom0 where
kernel is 2.6.18-194.26.1.el5xen.

Can anyone could give any insights into what might be wrong .

Here are some general trick concerning using Xen and Debian:
http://www.horoa.net/2011/07/xen-tweaks/?lang=eng
It's maybe more related to using Debian as dom0, but some tricks apply also to domU

--
Thanks,
Sherin