[Xen-users] Re: 3.0.0-rc2: Xen: QEMU Kernel panic - not syncing: IO-APIC

To: Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk <konrad.wilk@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-users] Re: 3.0.0-rc2: Xen: QEMU Kernel panic - not syncing: IO-APIC + timer doesn't work!
From: Tobias Diedrich <ranma+kvm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2011 21:14:07 +0200
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, linux-kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Mon, 13 Jun 2011 15:52:18 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 13, 2011 at 07:35:32PM +0200, Tobias Diedrich wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I ran into this problem when trying to set up Xen on a root server
> > with a pre-Orleans Athlon64 (no svm, so no kvm):
>
> Uhh, your output says otherwise. What is the serial output your
> box produced?

Well, the output was from the kvm where I tried to boot xen with the
same config as on my rootserver, where I don't have access to the
console output to see why it doesn't boot. :)

> > So is this supposed to work with APICs?
>
> Yes. Well, it actually should just bypass/ignore the APIC calls and
> the warnings are suppose to be benign.
>
> But somehow your environment triggered a weird state. I've to admint
> I hadn't tried to boot Xen + paravirt Linux under QEMU for some time.
>
> Did you try this on real hardware?

Only on my rootserver.  Just tried it again just in case and it
still doesn't boot if I remove the "noapic acpi=off" options.
(And it seems to blow up before I get any output over netconsole)

I should try it on my notebook I guess, though that is a Core2 Intel
with Vanderpool IIRC, so it may behave differently there.

> > APIC-support coming later?
>
> Never. There should be no need for it.

Ok.

--