[Xen-users] XCP: Insecure Distro ?

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] XCP: Insecure Distro ?
From: Adrien Guillon <aj.guillon@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 9 May 2011 16:41:33 -0400
Delivery-date: Mon, 09 May 2011 13:42:35 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hello mailing list!

I have been working with XCP a little bit, and I have the impression
that this distro is insecure.  First, it does not look like update
repositories are enabled inside /etc/yum.repos.d, although I'm from an
apt background so I may be misinterpreting that.  Where will my
security updates come from?

Next, it appears that the root password hash is directly stored inside
/etc/passwd, which is set to world-readable!  There does not appear to
be an /etc/shadow file at all.

Unfortunately I am dropping the distro entirely due to security
concerns, I hope that these problems can be fixed.

AJ