[Xen-users] Intermittent network in HVM domU

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Intermittent network in HVM domU
From: Roberto Bifulco <roberto.bifulco2@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 5 May 2011 14:17:54 +0200
Delivery-date: Thu, 05 May 2011 05:19:47 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:sender:date:x-google-sender-auth :message-id:subject:from:to:content-type; bh=pJpKtMvsFoxrRgolZ8clTFqgfpmhDPCHRR21wjJeCHs=; b=wKBTbTv30vIfmT9VSzKTn1c/ntSXcPOEgTDwF/rND81KW1kCX4zHjw169iD1x5O+lq zP+gfpWkjPWLqj0rmPjsw5jUfreMsxYDe+p4cJ2YyQCiW9Nt5cJfN7HHVt/Ux22KWxVc uzPw3LQHRjSIJjBmDPzt9oD6SVT+79M9/zXkQ=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Dear Xen Community,
I'm using Xen to virtualize some Windows and Linux servers.
Currently I'm using two machines, one for production, which runs Xen 3.2.1 with Debian5 Dom0 and the second one (Xen 4.0.1, openSuse 11.4 dom0) for development/testing.
I'm experiencing some problems with an HVM linux domU over the development machine.
In particular, the linux domU runs network services (web server, ssh), and, periodically, in an intermittent manner, the domU's network goes off.
I realized that the vnc console attached to the domU still works, i.e., the domU is responsive, while the network doesn't work.

The host machine is underloaded, i.e., it runs just two hvm domUs (the linux domU and an idle windows domU) and is configured in this way:
one Intel processor with 4 cores,
dom0 with 1 vcpu pinned to core 0
other domains with 1 vcpu pinned to cores 1-3

changing the dom0 credit scheduler configurations doesn't change this behaviour (e.g., assigning to dom0 a weight of 2048 while other domains have weight set to 256).

Any suggestion on how I can solve this problem, or how can I figure out WHERE is the problem?
Thanks,
Roberto

--
Roberto Bifulco, Ph.D. Student