Re: [Xen-users] XEN on Debian Squeeze

To: Pablo Morales <pablogm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] XEN on Debian Squeeze
From: Tapas Mishra <mightydreams@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2011 23:57:09 +0530
Cc: Xen Users <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Thu, 10 Mar 2011 10:28:01 -0800
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:in-reply-to:references:date :message-id:subject:from:to:cc:content-type; bh=fgwahAW5+hw2W7F/KdCEbSvpc1Heagz3Vk/Foi1aBRk=; b=mDgpRHSsICcpnpJWKR1i14a1KlKlnAxJ5pMkJZNq9n5LKORmWDSjpEq/lJ10Jrw/zX PBTLyOt45Do5eWaAOdCfs/itcvVdQC0TzVKh0c7tKVk4+rrtsIoUATD8Oic/Fh7eElYW PqArcGu1mPXG+yvJmv/rKM3aJ8F0XxjA4YpeI=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Thu, Mar 10, 2011 at 11:48 PM, Pablo Morales <pablogm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi there guys
>
> I'm following this how-to
> http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/XenParavirtOps
>
> So good so far, make menuconfig. I set it up to my needs , then the docs
> reads some grub examples, my question is, how do I create the xen-4.0.gz
> file? the process stated in the doc is only for the xen kernel. Did I myself
> clear? Long time ago there were the make tools, make xen, and so on, one day
> I updated from git and those options there were anymore.
>
> Any help on this?

To be able to use Xen on your OS you need to

1) Compile Xen
2) Compile a Dom0 Kernel which can work with Xen

But both of the steps are not needed if your Linux distributer
distributes them as a binary or rpm or deb package.
You did not mentioned your OS where you are doing.

I use Ubuntu
wget http://bits.xensource.com/oss-xen/release/4.0.1/xen-4.0.1.tar.gz
Move the downloaded xen-4.0.1 tar ball to /usr/src. Unpack Xen
hypervisor to /usr/src directory

sudo tar -xzvf xen-4.0.1.tar.gz
At this point you should see a directory

xen-4.0.1 in /usr/src

Now go inside the Xen-4.0.1 folder and do following

sudo make xen
sudo make tools
sudo make stubdom
Then

sudo make install-xen
sudo make install-tools PYTHON_PREFIX_ARG=
sudo make install-stubdom

Now at  this point you should have in /boot directory following files

xen-4.0.gz
xen-4.gz
xen.gz

and Xen is installed on your laptop.But it is not usable at this
point.Now you need to compile a Dom0 kernel.

some places on internet you will find a step
make world  <- Do not use it
if you are using make menuconfig sort of approach
because then you are compiling a Dom0 kernel yourself.