[Xen-users] HVM domain with PCI passthrough cannot reboot

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] HVM domain with PCI passthrough cannot reboot
From: Akos Szalkai <szalkai@xxxxx>
Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2011 18:08:59 +0100
Delivery-date: Tue, 08 Mar 2011 09:10:46 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
We have a Win 2008 R2 domain with a single PCI slot (00:13.0, an USB
controller) passed through to it.  We are using the pvops kernel (the
stable-2.6.32.x git branch) with Xen 4.0.1 (or 4.0.2-rc2, doesn't seem
to matter).  Everything is working great, except for one thing: when we
try to reboot the Windows VM, it shuts down correctly, but most of the
time it fails to restart with the following error message in xend.log:
VmError: failed to assign device 00:13.0: maybe it has already been
assigned to other domain, or maybe it doesn't exist.

If we log in to the host after the failed reboot and manually xm start
the domain, it does start without problems.  From our non-xen-expert
viewpoint it looks like the domain tries to restart before it had time
to detach the PCI slot from the shut down domain...

Does anyone have any pointers how to fix this?

Thanks,
Akos

--
Akos Szalkai <szalkai@xxxxx>