Re: [Xen-users] PV Drivers for Windows

To: "Fajar A. Nugraha" <list@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] PV Drivers for Windows
From: Ciro Iriarte <cyruspy@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2011 11:36:20 -0300
Cc: xen-users list <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Mon, 28 Feb 2011 06:38:03 -0800
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:in-reply-to:references:date :message-id:subject:from:to:cc:content-type :content-transfer-encoding; bh=0oMxIhYoEU18bdJ7xuySfEpRuvuaqDwES4Qj6YyalQk=; b=EyW5SuVfU2ThRcxfHG+fJtC2jQ0/OBN9UFxGqmxa15AmhMGDrAbmSqwoootNNmumQ/ uyH0Q1NY6laOcaZzYejZx3Hn8aVEpixF1V7/W0iiuIZBMs85qt6vT5Xl+PwRqZvcJmFC AwPaL1AKxti8JQLl14ZidvdeC6MUVnIL6miP8=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
2011/2/23 Fajar A. Nugraha <list@xxxxxxxxx>:
> On Wed, Feb 23, 2011 at 10:39 AM, Ciro Iriarte <cyruspy@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Hi, I've been using Xen for quite a while, but always with Linux
>> ParaVirtual domUs. Recently somebody asked me about Windows support as
>> domU on Xen, and I always had this doubt, are all the PV drivers de
>> same?, I know there are at least three, the ones from Citrix, the VMDP
>> from Novell and  GPLPV drivers
>>
>> Are all of them compatible with Xen 4?, all of them provide the same
>> functions/performance?, what's the general rule of thumb on this
>> subject?
>
> In the past, other drivers (at least Citrix and Redhat) is somewhat of
> a hassle to install. For example, you used to have to download the
> whole XCP/XenServer ISO, or have RHN subscription just to get the
> driver (haven't checked again, might still true).
>
> Then there was functionality problem. Redhat's driver used to say you
> can only use PV drivers for drives other than "C" (I haven't check
> again in a long time whether it's still true).
>
> Compared to that, GPLPV which is easy to download and install seems
> quite superior to me. Performance has been good.
>
> If you do decide to try them all, let us know which one you like best.
>
> --
> Fajar

Well, I've read that the Novell VMDP 1.7 has issues with live
migration and on the other hand, GPLPV has a myriad of versions and
variants available, an most of the time the
latest_minus_arbitrary_number-THIS.WILL.BLOW.YOUR.DOMU version is the
reported to work (for one particular version of the OS)... And haven't
heard anything about the live migration functionality... That's why
I'm asking here...

Regards,

--
Ciro Iriarte