RE: [Xen-users] who comes from kvm?

To: "Steve Sapovits" <steves06@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "Javier Guerra Giraldez" <javier@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] who comes from kvm?
From: "Phil Winterfield (winterfi)" <winterfi@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2011 09:47:49 -0800
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Bhasker C V <bhasker@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Mon, 14 Feb 2011 09:49:07 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
In the discussion of whether KVM is a type 1 or type 2 hypervisor, it is
important to remember that KVM, by allowing driver code to be moved into the
address space of the hypervisor, is violating one key tenets of having
hypervisors in the first place.  Driver code is notoriously buggy and by
allowing it to share the address space of the hypervisor you have greatly
expanded the vulnerability and attack surface for the most important part of
your system.  KVM has dramatically increased the chances of catastrophic system
failure by violating one of the fundamental architectural principles that has
guided the design of hypervisors since IBM originated the original concepts in
the '60's.  If reliability, availability and security are important to you,
then Xen is a much better choice from an architectural standpoint.

Phil Winterfield