Re: [Xen-users] Possible bug with scsi disk and Xen

To: Jordan Pittier <jordan.pittier@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Possible bug with scsi disk and Xen
From: Pasi Kärkkäinen <pasik@xxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2011 19:02:17 +0200
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Sat, 29 Jan 2011 09:04:02 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Sat, Jan 29, 2011 at 04:27:25PM +0100, Jordan Pittier wrote:
>    Hi,
>    I have been tracking a bug affecting all my servers running Debian Squeeze
>    for more than a month now, and I*desperately*need your help :)*
>    I have 10 Sun v20z servers (2*66GB SCSI disk in RAID 1 == mirror). 4 of
>    them are running Debian Squeeze with the latest Xen Debian kernel
>    (2.6.32-5-xen-amd64 ==*2.6.32-29). The rest are running Debian Lenny
>    (2.6.26-2-xen-amd64 ==*2.6.26-26lenny1).
>    On a Squeeze boxe, under very high IO (such as running a IO stress test,
>    ie bonnie++), server starts behaving*weirdly and I see messages like these
>    in kernel.log : [see attachement]. Then the server becomes totally
>    unresponsive (but doesn't "freeze") and commands such as "ls" or "reboot"
>    don't work anymore. I have to do an hard reboot. After the server has
>    reboot, the RAID array seems degraded (I am using the mpt-status command)
>    and starts rebuilding. After several hours, the raid array is "fine"
>    ("clean"). The raid controler is "LSI53C1030" U320, with driver "Fusion
>    MPT SPI Host driver 3.04.06". I have attached the result of "lsmod".
>    None of my Lenny boxes are affected by this issue, all of my Squeeze boxes
>    are.
>    What does it have to do with Xen ? When I boot my Squeeze boxes without
>    the Xen hypervisor but the same Xen kernel, bonnie++ runs*absolutely*fine.
>    The issue appears only with the Xen hypervisor loaded.*
>    There is a debian bug report for this
>    :*[1]http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=603727
>    Any suggestion ?*

Did you check if LSI has newer driver version available?

Also you might check which driver version for example RHEL6
or SLES11SP1 ships with.. both of those distros have 2.6.32 kernels too.

On one of my testboxes I need to upgrade the LSI driver
to a newer version to make it work. This is SAS based LSI though.

Can you try using another disk controller?

Also: Did you try using the latest kernel (-30) ?

-- Pasi