Re: [Xen-users] AoE (Was: iscsi vs nfs for xen VMs)

On Thu, Jan 27, 2011 at 1:08 PM, John Madden <jmadden@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Getting somewhat off-topic, but I'm interested to know how AoE
>> handles network errors ? I assume there is some handshake to make
>> sure packets were delivered, rather than just "fire and forget" !
>
> Ethernet itself has checksumming and error correction, so all of this is
> handled in layer 2.

Ethernet hardware+drivers do indeed checksum and verify every frame;
but in case of invalid checksum, it simply discards the frame.  it
doesn't retransmit, so it's not error correction; just error detection
(could it be called 'error elimination'?)

--
Javier