Re: [Xen-users] About: rm -f /bin /sh

To: <chi7396@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] About: rm -f /bin /sh
From: "Nick Couchman" <Nick.Couchman@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2011 08:34:17 -0700
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Wed, 26 Jan 2011 07:35:40 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Okay, question, first:
Did you do:
rm -Rf /bin /sh
OR
rm -Rf /bin/sh

??  Notice the space inbetween the /bin and /sh on the first one.  If
you executed the first one, you're pretty well hosed - you're going to
need to reinstall several packages to get the files back into /bin.  If
you executed the second one, read on...

If you executed ln -s /bin/sh /bin/bash, and the command succeeded, then
you have almost certainly wiped out bash with a link to the
non-existent /bin/sh.  With the ln command the first path is the
existing file and the second path is the link.  Since you've
removed /bin/sh, linking /bin/bash will erase the /bin/bash file and
replace it with a link to /bin/sh, which doesn't exist.  So, at a
minimum you need to reinstall bash.  You'll likely need to boot with a
rescue CD for this.

-Nick

On Wed, 2011-01-26 at 20:49 +0800, Huang Yogi wrote:
> Dear all
>

> After I doing: rm -f /bin /sh ,my pc(Debian) can not work anymore,
>
> I try to do: ln -s /bin/sh /bin/bash, but it doesn't work;
>

> after reboot it shows cannot
> execute /etc/init.d/rcS ; /etc/init.d/rc...
>

> could you help me how to fix this problem!!
>

> Thank you so much!!!
>

> Best regards,
> Yogi Huang

> From: chi7396@xxxxxxxxxxx
> To: todd.deshane@xxxxxxx
> CC: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: RE: [Xen-users] Mutiple virtualmachines Live migration at the
> same time with Xen
> Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2010 13:04:12 +0800
>
>   The lack of memory caused the problem! I try to give more memoy for
> the target system and the migration success.
>   Thanks for your help!!
>
>    Best regards,
>    Yogi
>
> If that is not the problem, be sure that you have enough resources to
> > migrate. For example, you need enough free memory on the target
> system
> > to handle all of the VMs.
>
> > From: todd.deshane@xxxxxxx
> > Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2010 22:05:17 -0500
> > Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Mutiple virtualmachines Live migration at
> the same time with Xen
> > To: chi7396@xxxxxxxxxxx
> > CC: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> >
> > 2010/12/20 Huang Yogi <chi7396@xxxxxxxxxxx>:
> > > Dear all
> > >
> > > The following process is about trying to do the " live migration
> at the same
> > > time with 5 Virtual machines ", but there is somthing problem with
> it.
> > >
> > > Process:
> > >
> > >               yogi-pc2:  # xm migrate --live vm01 pc2 & xm migrate
> --live
> > > vm02 pc2 & xm migrate --live vm03 pc2 & xm migrate --live vm05 pc2
> & xm
> > > migrate --live vm06 pc2
> > >
> > > [1] 29983
> > > [2] 29984
> > > [3] 29985
> > > [4] 29986
> > > Error: /usr/lib/xen-3.2-1/bin/xc_save 43 2358 0 0 1 failed
> > > Usage: xm migrate <Domain> <Host>
> > >

> > > Migrate a domain to another machine.

> > > -h, --help           Print this help.
> > > -l, --live      & nbsp;    Use live migration.
> > > -p=portnum, --port=portnum
> > > &n bsp;                    Use specified port for migration.
> > > -r=MBIT, --resource=MBIT
> > >                      Set level of resource usage for migration.
> > >

> > Looks like you are getting a usage error.
> >
> > > yogi-pc2:# jobs
> > >
> > > [1]   Running                 xm migrate --live vm01 yogi-pc1 &
> > > [2]   Running                 xm migrate --live vm02 yogi-pc1 &
> > > [3]-  Running                 xm migra te --live vm03 yogi- pc1 &
> > > [4]+  Running                 xm migrate --live vm05 yogi-pc1 &
> > >
> > > yogi-pc2:# ps -aux
> > > root     29983  0.3  0.4  11076  6800 pts/0    S    19:34   0:00
> python
> [...]

--------
This e-mail may contain confidential and privileged material for the sole use
of the intended recipient.  If this email is not intended for you, or you are
not responsible for the delivery of this message to the intended recipient,
please note that this message may contain SEAKR Engineering (SEAKR)
Privileged/Proprietary Information.  In such a case, you are strictly
prohibited from downloading, photocopying, distributing or otherwise using this
message, its contents or attachments in any way.  If you have received this
message in error, please notify us immediately by replying to this e-mail and
delete the message from your mailbox.  Information contained in this message
that does not relate to the business of SEAKR is neither endorsed by nor
attributable to SEAKR.