Re: [Xen-users] Wireless device in Xen Guest

To: James Harper <james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Wireless device in Xen Guest
From: "Jui-Ting (Jerry) Weng" <jtweng@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2011 19:13:57 -0800
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Mon, 24 Jan 2011 19:15:12 -0800
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:in-reply-to:references:date :message-id:subject:from:to:cc:content-type; bh=raN6fRgY+5gD+1JP3zcHSohbAoTnxH+ued1LadKgQGw=; b=vcH3xiOYO459BJROP55IgqIviuaIMAPUKY1wZIDSnOPCGkLFD9LaoVgMFU60FJc7G/ B0OCH2JbohXMO3X41WV5OyENXV7n9X819mtYjn8tVBVbA6JbxTAUty1DiJUh6noI6nbE IZt5EWGD4WJXFp1TkN42ZxRbQJoD0S/0QDTXI=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I'll double check the NAT configurations.

Right now I can use wireless in DomU. it is just incredibly slow.

I perform the following test through Iperf.

laptop A. Setup an Iperf server at Dom0

(1)
laptop B. Setup an Iperf client at Dom0, connect to laptop A. Throughput is 2.2Mbps
(2)
laptop B. Setup an Iperf client at DomU, connect to laptop A. Throughput is 90Kbps

DomU throughput degrade to 1/20 of the Dom0. Since this only happen on wireless card, I was wondering if my configuration is wrong.

sincerely,
-Jerry

On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 5:33 PM, James Harper <james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello all:
>
> I'm running Xen with Gentoo. I setup two network device in Xen guest
Gentoo.
> One of them connect to the Dom0 ethernet card via bridge, and the
other
> connect to Dom0 wireless card via another bridge. The interface in
DomU
> connected to the outside ethernet device have throughput close to
Dom0.
> (927Mbps / 917Mbps) However, the wireless interface have very poor
bandwidth
> (2.2Mbps / 90 Kbps). Is there a reason why wireless transmission is
extremely
> inefficient ?

How does it compare to the throughput when you are not running xen?

Wireless is a half duplex medium, and if you are talking to another
wireless device 'through' an access point it gets even worse as your
packet has to be received by the AP, then transmitted to the target,
then the response goes back the same way, so it's not nearly as fast as
the sticker on the box says.

Are you doing all the right things with the wireless interface? You
normally need to NAT the MAC addresses for it to work.

James