RE: [Xen-users] Which distro to use for Dom0

On Thu, 2011-01-13 at 12:41 -0500, Jeff Sturm wrote:

> More to the point:  OpenSuSE appears to be the community flavor of SLES,
> just as Fedora is the community variant of RHEL.

Actually that's not true, CentOS is much closer to the mark as a
community variant of RHEL. Fedora is a much different system. Fedora
also has to be upgraded at least once a year to avoid going out of
support, whereas RHEL/CentOS will be supported for at least five years
from date of release. For that reason alone, I don't recommend running
Fedora on production servers unless you have a specific reason (i.e.
there is some software or version you need that is supported on Fedora
but not CentOS).

> If I were to reject SLES due to cost in favor of Fedora, presumably I'd
> reject RHEL for the same reasons, and it would be silly to ignore
> OpenSuSE.

I personally think the OP should go with whichever distro supports Xen
that he is most familiar with. Xen is a complicated system. Run it on a
distro that you are familiar with. The same applies in spades to using
Pacemaker. If you know SUSE, then use SUSE. If you know Red Hat, then
use CentOS. Clearly there are people here who have had success with
both. But if you are trying to learn a new distro at the same time as
Xen and Pacemaker, that's not a good combination for getting a stable
system.

--Greg