[Xen-users] Can't boot HVM Win2k8 R2 x64 DVD ISO (Viridian?)

To: <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-users] Can't boot HVM Win2k8 R2 x64 DVD ISO (Viridian?)
From: "Russ Purinton" <rpurinton@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 26 Dec 2010 02:01:47 -0500
Delivery-date: Sat, 25 Dec 2010 23:02:56 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi all,

I’m stuck with a peculiar problem.  I have CentOS 5.5 and Xen.  I have numerous Windows 2003 guests and never had this problem.  An application requires SQL server 2008 which is requiring Windows Server 2008.  I downloaded the 2.8 Gig install DVD ISO.  I create a new guest and connect the ISO as hdc.  The system starts and says “Starting Windows” but hangs and no logo image appears.

I burned the same ISO to a disc and it worked fine in a physical machine.  I then changed my new Guest to boot a 2K3 image and that worked fine, as well as a CentOS ISO worked fine.  Back to the 2k8 ISO it hangs still at Starting Windows.

Luckily I find a ton of reference material on this via google.

http://forums.citrix.com/thread.jspa?threadID=240476

posts like this seem to depict and describe the problem exactly.  I’ve found numerous others.

I also found others where the author stated he just tried changing the system memory to random values and had success.  I’ve tried everything from 8 gigs down to 512, 8 CPU’s, down to 1 CPU and all the same results.

They are all referencing the xe command to set params in Citrix XenServer particularly this parameter “viridian=false”.

Most people seem to have good results by setting this, but I cannot find an equivalent mention for non-Citrix XenServer like my CentOS5.

I have tried editing my /etc/xen/guest config file and adding viridian=0 at the bottom, but still hangs.

Looking here for help.   Here is my config.

[root@xen1 ~]# cd /etc/xen

[root@xen1 xen]# cat sql

cat: sql: No such file or directory

[root@xen1 xen]# cat sql1

name = "sql1"

uuid = "3e45ca99-8661-69cb-3797-100edb049b77"

maxmem = 512

memory = 512

vcpus = 1

builder = "hvm"

kernel = "/usr/lib/xen/boot/hvmloader"

boot = "c"

pae = 1

acpi = 1

apic = 1

localtime = 0

device_model = "/usr/lib64/xen/bin/qemu-dm"

sdl = 0

vnc = 1

vncunused = 1

keymap = "en-us"

disk = [ "file:/var/lib/xen/images/sql.img,hda,w", ",hdc:cdrom,r" ]

vif = [ "mac=00:16:36:5d:0b:48,bridge=xenbr0,script=vif-bridge" ]

parallel = "none"

serial = "pty"

[root@xen1 xen]#