Re: [Xen-users] What NAS device(s) do you use? And why?

On Mon, Dec 13, 2010 at 5:22 PM, Rudi Ahlers <Rudi@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> For now I think I'll stick to using bare-bone SuperMicro servers, and
> then look at using something like Lustre / Gluster / Nexenta /
> We use OpenFiler on a few of our current "NAS" servers, but it's
> outdated and doesn't scale well so I need something new.

Cluster file system tends to add extra penalty to disk
iops/throughput, so if you ever want to go luster/gluster route you
should make sure the performance is acceptable.

It might be easier if you simply create a "dedicated" SAN/NAS for this
user only, using a head node (with nexenta/plain Centos or whatever)
with several storage nodes (using coraid or nexenta/Centos or whatever
and export them with iscsi/AoE). Start with one head node and one
storage node, increasing number of storage nodes as necessary. Make
sure storage-head-web server nodes is connected to the same switch
(preferably dedicated).

One thing to watchout with this kind of setup is to make sure all
protocol/servers/disk involved doesn't lie about sync, i.e. the disk
REALLY flush the data when told to.

--
Fajar