Re: [Xen-users] Can affect the virtualization the samba performance?

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Can affect the virtualization the samba performance?
From: Periko Support <pheriko.support@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2010 16:45:03 -0800
Delivery-date: Wed, 24 Nov 2010 16:46:38 -0800
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:received:received:in-reply-to :references:date:message-id:subject:from:to:content-type :content-transfer-encoding; bh=ZF5oVunumAKakdKl9MQ5fSBZU+eXMz0nf9t1Jy7dZp0=; b=l6QYSxBQCxh9qVjc44k+TKgvGzcLtU6PKe2JbmauB8D1q+lMuvPMk3labvHOOUNotJ e9Mzb1SZzI0PLjwsML7xgcziToCLzx0Zci3gPFgZ92qoHSFYOrOdg5GJSAM89RUAKJH/ uA/ie9jWJCfexGP0tg7kMdax02Y4oPY2BOuOE=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Wed, Nov 24, 2010 at 3:12 PM, kazabe <kazabe@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi.
>
> i was migrate samba from an old woody server to a virtualized lenny on
> a new server.  The virtualized server has four times more resources
> than the old server, but some times the performance is really poor.
>
> im discarding all the samba tunning options, but i dont know how to
> discard any virtualization issue.  The disk is a img file on the
> server, formatted on ext3.
>
> Im evaluating request a dedicated disk to the samba virtual server,
> but before i need confirm if the problem is really by disk
> performance.
>
> How can i evaluate if the virtualization can have any relation with
> the samba performance?
>
> thanks and regards.

Do u have raid on the dom-0? Raid-0,1,5,10?
Have u tune your server?
Have u benchmark your FS? Bonnie, Bonnie++,fio,tiobench,dd,hdparm,iozone,dbench?
This will take a lot of time but will let u know with settings will
give u the best performance for a service la samba.
Good luck!!!