[Xen-users] PXDI; Automated Xen 4.0.1 + 2.6.32 dom0 installer for RHEL 6

To: "xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, centos-virt@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] PXDI; Automated Xen 4.0.1 + 2.6.32 dom0 installer for RHEL 6
From: Digimer <linux@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2010 18:15:06 -0500
Delivery-date: Mon, 22 Nov 2010 15:16:45 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I tool Pasi Kärkkäinen's tutorial[1] that he announced on Thursday and turned it into an automated installation program called PXDI.

- http://wiki.alteeve.com/index.php/Pxdi

I've tested it on ~9 machines and, so far, it has worked. Of course, this is a small sample set and could use much more testing. *hint* :)

As it is built now, it can take a "minimal" Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6.0 x86_64 install (+perl) and completely built and install qemu, (patched) libvirt, xen 4.0.1 and a 2.6.32 dom0. It also adds itself to /boot/grub/grub.conf, so it should be a matter of run, wait, reboot, done.

*PLEASE* don't run it on a server you care about. I have done my best to avoid errors, but I can make promises that it won't mess up your machine. Run it on test servers only, please, until more testing is done.

If the installer aborts at any time, it is smart enough to (mostly) know what has already been done and will pick up where it left off. So it should be safe to run several times if needed without problem. Of course, I hope one run will be enough. :)

Eventually we hope to have RPMs in repos so most users won't need this. For now though, I hope this will do.

I would *love* to hear feedback; Good, bad or otherwise!

Digimer

1. http://wiki.xen.org/xenwiki/RHEL6Xen4Tutorial

--
Digimer