Re: [Xen-users] XCP, NFS for storage and bonded NICs

To: Steve Thompson <smt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] XCP, NFS for storage and bonded NICs
From: Bart Coninckx <bart.coninckx@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2010 23:01:23 +0100
Cc: Craig Miskell <craig.miskell@xxxxxxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Mon, 01 Nov 2010 15:02:48 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Monday 01 November 2010 21:58:08 Steve Thompson wrote:
> On Tue, 2 Nov 2010, Craig Miskell wrote:
> > So I guess I don't *want* to balance a single flow across multiple links.
> >  So if I want to balance NFS traffic across links I need more than one
> > distinct TCP connection to the NFS server, which I'd guess needs at
> > least two distinct mounted shares.
>
> You could use balance-rr mode perhaps? I'm using this on a point-to-point
> drbd replication link between two systems with MTU=9000 and have seen
> throughput regularly around 165 MB/sec with peaks of up to 185 MB/sec.
>
> Steve

This is what I do as well, except by either not using a switch (direct links
like for DRBD) or by using two seperate ones. If I understand correctly,
balance-rr spoofs MAC addresses which will confuse the connected switch.
Anyway, it goes nice speed results. I do have to tweak tcp_reordering though
in my SLES machines. If I don't, I hardly get more speed than a single link.