Re: [Xen-users] SW RAID powered Xen node - knowledgeable feedback much n

To: office@xxxxxxxxxxx, Xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] SW RAID powered Xen node - knowledgeable feedback much needed
From: Jonathan Tripathy <jonnyt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2010 22:06:20 +0100
Delivery-date: Tue, 26 Oct 2010 14:08:26 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

On 26/10/10 20:25, office@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
I would like to know your opinion on the viability of a SW RAID 1 powered
Xen node. The CPU is a i7-920 Quad core, 2.66Ghz, 8MB cache and 8GB of RAM.
The 2 HDDs are absolutely normal (no raptor, 10k-15k etc - just normal
SATA) and there's no HW RAID. I was thinking to allocate some 70% of the
resources to VEs and the rest to the node itself.

Can this be done reasonably?

Adding HW raid would mean an 60% price increase which would lead to 60%
more VEs on the node. Would the 60% increase in VEs count but with HW RAID
be preferable over the SW RAID with less VEs?

Thanks a lot in advance for any knowledgeable feedback.

From personal experience, I can say that unless you are going to spend a lot of money on an expensive RAID controller, just go with software RAID. We have servers that use Linux's software RAID (mdadm) and it is fantastic!