Re: [Xen-users] Keeping domU configs sync'ed across nodes in a cluster

To: <linux@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Keeping domU configs sync'ed across nodes in a cluster
From: "Nick Couchman" <Nick.Couchman@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2010 09:26:57 -0600
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Wed, 20 Oct 2010 08:33:29 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I use OCFS2, a cluster-aware filesystem, to make config files available
on all of the nodes in my clusters of Xen hosts.  I have four separate
clusters of Xen servers, each with its own OCFS2 filesystem that is
mounted on all of the nodes in the cluster.  On some of them, I also
store disk files on this filesystem, but on others it serves no purpose
other than to store config files.  Of course, you need some cluster
storage or something like that, but even DRBD could be used to
synchronize a small partition or volume on each of the hosts with OCFS2,
GFS, etc.

-Nick

On Tue, 2010-10-19 at 23:30 -0400, Digimer wrote:
> Hi all,
>
>   I've got a Fedora 13 cluster (just two nodes) with Xen 4.0.1 and the
> dom0's are 2.6.32 kernel. I can live migrate the domU VMs back and forth
> just fine.
>
>   The trick is that, until a VM has been migrated to the second node (or
> I run 'virsh dumpxml domain > domain.xml; <copy to other node>; virsh
> define domain.xml), the second node doesn't know that the domU exists.
> So if the original node dies, I can't (easily) recover the domU on the
> backup. Also, if I make changes to the virtual hardware on one node, the
> other node's config goes stale.
>
>   Is there a way to keep the domU configuration in sync across nodes? I
> think I saw something to this effect a little earlier, but so far my
> google-fu has not turned up anything.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Digimer

--------
This e-mail may contain confidential and privileged material for the sole use
of the intended recipient.  If this email is not intended for you, or you are
not responsible for the delivery of this message to the intended recipient,
please note that this message may contain SEAKR Engineering (SEAKR)
Privileged/Proprietary Information.  In such a case, you are strictly
prohibited from downloading, photocopying, distributing or otherwise using this
message, its contents or attachments in any way.  If you have received this
message in error, please notify us immediately by replying to this e-mail and
delete the message from your mailbox.  Information contained in this message
that does not relate to the business of SEAKR is neither endorsed by nor
attributable to SEAKR.