Re: [Xen-users] best setup for live failover

To: Donny Brooks <dbrooks@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] best setup for live failover
From: Stephen Ross <stephen.ross1986@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2010 01:04:18 +0100
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Thu, 12 Aug 2010 06:31:16 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:received:received:in-reply-to :references:date:message-id:subject:from:to:cc:content-type :content-transfer-encoding; bh=0BVYgpFSj0xL/QeA+wAFtlSzifVDpU1vk8bg1lYVIvQ=; b=SGqQVanooly9ojlq4NHE7ufjFWHpvu37mgCvAMF6aSM/zsFBW9JbkTybVVc7uLKsUb gn9JivnwAQciL6qwVmYRVL1k4xVv26QodQto39OZI4Ws4uIQ2CAp7NQWWgMHQhGuTMaG 3AnPDDod4gsbR22W3DNo/XbjYMdDr95LBWPck=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
iSCSI will give you very good performance. Much better than NFS, for
instance. MD3000i's are a bit of a pain though, multipathing these
units using dm-multipath doesn't work very well in my experience. The
latest versions of RHEL do have improved support for MD3000i's though,
very much depends on the Dom0 linux distribution you're using?

Personally, in this sort of setup I've always gone for a cLVM based
approach. Means you don't have to faff about with clustered
filesystems and should be as scalable as you could ever need! Last
role I was in I had 15 MD3000i's and 6 R900's in this configuration
supporting ~300VM's and it was very fast and stable.

As for HA failover, I've used heartbeat for this in the past with good
results but with Xen 4.0 there are various options I'm not experienced
with. RDMA looks great, for instance. Not sure how mature it is yet
though.