[Xen-users] Weird dom0 reboot problem with NFS shares

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Weird dom0 reboot problem with NFS shares
From: Juan Luis Baptiste <juan.baptiste@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2010 11:34:34 -0500
Delivery-date: Tue, 06 Jul 2010 09:35:57 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:mime-version:received:from:date :message-id:subject:to:content-type; bh=Rlgz43sYJ+I2RrgV4MUM3XHQPjGZtYjQZCG5b4+tjKY=; b=p1ogI7EBVlYsfzeGjlpHif/Oq0A3gC+wc/nK8zNUk3PUBz9xXOFJ3vl7+r484JJPhT YwoJ8+qDBdj8YnBVH7LYcCZuOVSYixRZbpf/8LIL5nhzsDzkqxPX2Avd33jB2fVOANcS k96/UBhdib9V0l5/aey144LDEXx0cWreaK8Mo=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,

Playing with with a couple of CentOS 5.5 xen servers I got a very
strange problem. On one Xen server I shared via NFS the
/var/lib/xen/images directory and mounted it on the other xen server
on the same directory. Then, I copied the domU's config files on
/etc/xen from the xen server with the NFS share to the other xen
server. Then I proceeded to start one of the domU guests on the second
xen server, it booted ok, I let it run for a while and then shut it
down. Then I tried to start the same domU on the Xen server with the
NFS share but the Xen server rebooted just after the domU started
booting. This happened consistently  each time I started any of the
domU's on that server. Looking at the logs at /var/log/xen I couldn't
see any errors, just the messages of the running server and then the
starting up messages of the server after the reboot. This consistently
happened five or six times, with any of the domU machines on that
server. The only modification to the xen server was to add the NFS
share and start the portmap and nfs servers, nothing more.

To make it even more weird, I tried again later to start up one of the
domU's and this time it started fine and I until today I have never
had more reboots. But as you can see, I can't put a server into
production without knowing what happened and why apparently it fixed
by it self. The server is brand new so I don't think it is a hardware
problem, but anything is possible.

Can someone give me some insights as what could have happened ?

As I said, we are using CentOS 5.5 and this are the xen packages installed:

xen-libs-3.0.3-105.el5
xen-3.0.3-105.el5
kernel-xen-2.6.18-194.el5
xen-libs-3.0.3-105.el5