Re: [Xen-users] use PCI VGA card on domU, and questions about USB

To: "Doublehp" <doublehp-xen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, <Xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] use PCI VGA card on domU, and questions about USB
From: "Nick Couchman" <Nick.Couchman@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2010 15:02:47 -0600
Delivery-date: Fri, 25 Jun 2010 14:04:41 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>>> On 2010/06/25 at 10:59, Doublehp <doublehp-xen@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I have several video cards and want to use one of them for a particular domU
>
> http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/XenFaq section 7.3 states "not at the
> moment"; but, i know that this have been written years ago, and that
> since that time, things changed.
>
> I found last month a page telling how to pactch a kernel, but, i can't
> find it again.
>
> Can you point me to the right "up to date" page, or mailing list archive ?

If you're talking about passing through a graphics card to a domU, yes, this
works now, with a few conditions.  First, I believe it only works on HVM domUs
at the moment.  Also, the list of cards is fairly limited - there are some more
patches making their way through development to make other cards work.
Finally, this only works in Xen 4 - you must update to Xen 4 in order to use
VGA pass through.  If you look at the Wiki you referenced above, you can find
some other pages specifically about VGA pass through.

http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/XenPCIpassthrough

http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/XenVGAPassthrough

> Does Qemu support PCI hotplug ? to add PCI card after boot like for USB:
> usb_add host:xxxx:yyyy

Yes, I believe it does.  Don't remember the commands off the top of my head.

> *** *** ***
>
> I have a related problem:
> let say i want to plug a specific USB device to domU before i start the
> machine; then i put in the conf:
>
> usbdevice = "host:0421:04f0"
>
> This works fine. When starting the domU, it works as expected. But, the
> mouse in VNC goes wrong. The mouse normally get fixed with
> usb=1
> usbdevice='tablet'
>
> but as I add usbdevice = "host:0421:04f0", usbdevice='tablet' seems
> ignored. What's wrong ? maybe i should do something like
> usbdevice={'tablet', "host:0421:04f0"} ?

Many versions of Xen are limited to a single USB device being passed through to
the domU.  Version 4.0 may be the first version that does not have this
limitation.  Since the tablet is considered a USB device, you have to choose -
tablet (absolute mouse) support, or USB support - you can't have both (at least
in versions of Xen prior to 4).  Even in the versions that do support multiple
USB devices, you sometimes have to add the secondary ones after boot time.

-Nick

> Is it possible to dedicate to a domU a specific USB branch ? I mean, a
> port on the dom0, or a Hub, so that, i just put this node/plug in the
> HVM conf, and, all peripherals i add after starting domU will be managed
> by the domU automaticly.
>
> Is it possible to add a USB device to a domU/Qemu from a domO console ?
> I mean, run a bash command or script, instead of having to hit
> ctrl-alt-2 in the vnc/qemu window.
>
> I will have the problem again if I want to add several PCI devices to my
> domU:
> pci=['02:00.0','02:00.1','03:00.0','03:00.1']
> ?
>
> Thanks.

--------
This e-mail may contain confidential and privileged material for the sole use
of the intended recipient.  If this email is not intended for you, or you are
not responsible for the delivery of this message to the intended recipient,
please note that this message may contain SEAKR Engineering (SEAKR)
Privileged/Proprietary Information.  In such a case, you are strictly
prohibited from downloading, photocopying, distributing or otherwise using this
message, its contents or attachments in any way.  If you have received this
message in error, please notify us immediately by replying to this e-mail and
delete the message from your mailbox.  Information contained in this message
that does not relate to the business of SEAKR is neither endorsed by nor
attributable to SEAKR.