[Xen-users] Finding VBD id for disks in config file

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Finding VBD id for disks in config file
From: Joe <cylcone@xxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2010 06:41:53 -0700 (PDT)
Date-warning: Date header was inserted by spool003.mac.com
Delivery-date: Thu, 24 Jun 2010 09:02:34 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Never used one of these mailing lists before... hope I'm doing it right!

Anyway - here's the problem. After starting my domU using the create command, all disks are added to the guest and can be accessed fine from within it. However, at some point in the future I would like the facility to be able to hotswap out one of these disks using the block-detach command. This command requires the vbd id of the disk I want to detach. However, I'm unsure how to find this for a disk added in bulk with others in the initial guest configuration file.

If I've just added the disk using the block-attach command then I've found the vbd id can be found in the last row of xm block-list <domain> and can therefore block-detach it just fine. But if I'm adding 10 disks at boot time, I'm unsure how to identify which is which in the block-list command output.

Any help is much appreciated!