Re: [Xen-users] XCP modifying cloned vms

On Mon, 2010-06-21 at 13:13 +0100, David Markey wrote:
> You can create a PBD, and plug it into Dom0. Then mount the partition
> in Dom0. Then unmount/unplug.

Another thing you can do is mount the partitions contained within a DomU
image from the host OS. That way you could script the changes that have
to be made in the cloned VM. I find this less tedious than actually
having to boot up the DomU in order to make changes, which has already
become tiresome with only a small number of test VMs. If we start
creating dozens or hundreds of production VMs, having to boot each one
and make the changes manually just isn't going to work. Here's a good
explanation of how to mount the partitions from a DomU image:

http://www.campworld.net/thewiki/pmwiki.php/Linux/DiskImagesHOWTO

Using this info, I wrote myself a script that automatically does the
mounting, even handling LVM partitions contained within the DomU image.
Now I am working on a script to automatically make the necessary changes
(changing host name, network configuration, etc.). This will take some
doing to get going, but if this is something you are going to have to do
repeatedly over time, it might be worth the initial effort.

--Greg