Re: [Xen-users] pfSense HVM

To: Nicolas Vilz <niv@xxxxxxxxxx>, Xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] pfSense HVM
From: Jonathan Tripathy <jonnyt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 05 Jun 2010 23:35:43 +0100
Delivery-date: Sat, 05 Jun 2010 15:36:58 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi Nic,

What kind of throughput are you getting with your pfsense guest? I've got my Gigabit NIC passthrough to the pfsense DomU (To act as the "WAN"), then I've connected the "LAN" side of pfsense to a Xen bridge, with the Dom0 is also connected to. I tried to do a file tranfer (via samba) from a machine on the "WAN" to the Dom0. The speed was capping out at 90Mbps. In the pfsense config, I've made the NIC "e1000" and pfsense does show it's connected at 1000.

Any ideas?

Not really, i tried e1000 as well, but couldn't see any advantage for that (Throughput was nearly the same or worse). Either i don't see the difference between emulated 8139cp and e1000 or there is no difference when using it for openvpn in a bridged setup. I will analyze that further. The real performance boost would be the pv driver with freebsd and pfsense, but i haven't done that yet (patched pfsense kernel with xen modules). Inside openvpn i get a max throughput of 800 kb/s, where there should be 100Mbit or 1000 Mbit (if i emulate the right one). Thats a bit confusing for me, but i keep observing and searching. Pfsense shows connected at 1000 Mbit, too on my side.

That doesn't really help you right now, but that is what i know and experienced so far.
Sincerly

Nicolas

Hi Nicolas,

Thanks for sharing the above. Any further testing you do would very much be appreciated.

If we can somehow manage to patch the pfsense kernel to get PV working then that would be great!

I guess 90Mbit for me isn't too bad though, since my colo's connection will be limited to only 100Mbit, so I guess it's ok there

If anyone else has any experience of using the e1000 drive in HVM guests (especially BSD), please let me know

Thanks everyone