Re: [Xen-users] help launching a Centos 5.5 Xen PV guest on an OpenSuse

To: Mark Pryor <tlviewer@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] help launching a Centos 5.5 Xen PV guest on an OpenSuse 11.2 Dom0 host ?
From: 0bo0 <0.bugs.only.0@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2010 22:36:23 -0700
Cc: Xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Wed, 02 Jun 2010 22:37:34 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:received:received:in-reply-to :references:date:message-id:subject:from:to:cc:content-type :content-transfer-encoding; bh=drsoLRRgy39ZktWEOC8h5XlT/hBAbSCDAN/z06XgbjU=; b=nzvkrL9BSxNhpBETrhd4HRM8FUcm2gogVJdf8Q46cZtE3/r5MLDINdnXMm1GmtRz+7 /PYtxf+K6xbJ5i0zo5SDiDhSEGXckKDRiiwXZEEBG50ABMd8r5fSNXC61oc7bM40Pjm7 tIdrJp7swNWEKxQqf0B4wx0Hjyj6m3K084KSs=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
hi,

On Wed, Jun 2, 2010 at 10:20 PM, Mark Pryor <tlviewer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> You are mixing HVM and PV type installs.

surprised at that -- as it's similar, though admittedly not identical,
to the way in which I launch my Opensuse DomUs.  more to learn ...

> I take it for granted that you prefer PV type,

yep.

> so lets remove the HVM hybrid entries.
>
> You might be surprised to find out that the C5.5 netinstall ISO is
> equivalent to using the xen aware boot files (vmlinuz, initrd) that you
> D/L'd separately.

wasn't sure what the netinstall cont'd -- so DL'd to be sure.  good, then.

> So you can ditch any mention of hdc or cdrom.

a bit confused.  how/where do I inform the install where the installer
.iso is, and how it's available?

is the presence of

kernel= ...
ramdisk= ...
extra='... method=http://mirrors.kernel.org/centos/5.5/os/x86_64 ...'

sufficient to get to the installer?

> The disk line with xvdc should be changed - xvdc is reserved (IIRC).

reserved in/by/for Centos?  i've been using xvdc for opensuse guests for ages.

simply skip xvds, then, and use xvdd instead?

> boot = 'd' is HVM only (remove)

hm.  again, have used that for PV clients for awhile.  need to read up.

>> 'file:/home/xen/centos55/CentOS-5.5-x86_64-netinstall.iso,hdc:cdrom,r',
>   ^--- remove this line

done

> #boot         = 'd'

done

>> @
>>
>>  xm create -c /home/xen/centos_install.cfg
>>
>> starts ok, but then hangs,
>
> try it again with the changes. You will get the askmethod menu by virtue of
> the boot files.

unfortunately, hangs at the same point ...

Initalizing network drop monitor service
Write protecting the kernel read-only data: 483k